I am a freelance writer, pastor's wife, cancer survivor and registered nurse. I live in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, a mere seven minutes' walk to the seafront.
In 1967 I married my best friend, Rob. We became proud parents of Debbie, Stephen and David at three-yearly intervals. We'd no sooner started to get the hang of being parents than we had to start over as parents-in-law. Craig, Hannelie and Pam joined us in that order. Then grand-daughter Sacha pushed us into a new generation. She was joined by brother Llewellyn, and years later by her cousins Timothy and Samantha. Where did the years go?
In 1997 cancer changed my life. After a year's traumatic and aggressive treatment, I developed a passion for helping others facing the same diagnosis. According to the World Health Organisation by 2010 cancer will be the top killer, surpassing heart disease.
20% of those diagnosed with cancer will die. Well hello? That leaves 80% who will live. I want to reach them, and also help the others who are running out of time.